A worker at AdvanSix in Philadelphia failed to close a valve on Thursday. Up to 2 ,000 Gallons of phenol were spilled, some possibly into the sewer system, according a police report.
The incident took place at 4: 20 on the 2500 Block of Bridge Street. Although the fire department responded, they did not request an evacuation. Nobody was hurt.
Phenol may be toxic to people. Frankford is the largest producer of phenol in North America. According to the company’s website, the chemical is used in manufacturing nylon polymer for carpet fibers as well as plastics and films.
Debi Lewis said that the incident happened while workers loaded a railcar. The plant is just off I -95, which leads to the Delaware River. However, authorities have said that none of the chemical made it to the river.
” The team took immediate action to reduce the release and began cleaning up the area, notifying all the appropriate authorities, including the police and fire departments that responded to the scene,” Lewis stated, adding, “At this time, we believe there is no danger to the community.” “
She stated that an investigation is underway and that plant operations are going on as usual.
” AdvanSix is committed, as always, to the safety and well-being of our neighbors,” Lewis stated.
She stated that crews are still present at Frankford railcar loading site to provide secondary containment. She stated that the phenol was contained and that the sewers were protected. “
Lewis anticipates that clean-up will be complete by the weekend. However, the company did not have final figures as to how much phenol actually escaped but does not believe that initial reports of the amount were accurate.
Kathy Matheson spokeswoman for Philadelphia Fire Department and said that emergency crews are only watching the cleanup. AdvanSix was already dealing with the spillage by the time that responders arrived on Thursday, she stated.
It wasn’t clear how much chemical ended up in the sewer that runs to a treatment facility and eventually the Delaware River.
Phenol is highly irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans after short-term inhalation or dermal exposures, according t